Mmm chocolate…yah, just to say chocolate and you think of something good or you start to feel good. Nearly every human loves chocolate, for the immense pleasure that it gives and it doesn’t contain anything that could be directly bad for us (except for sugar or fats if we eat large quantities or if we eat not quality chocolate).
Dogs, so nice and smart, are very loved by humans: old, adults or children.
Chocolate and dogs are each great on their own, but their combination could be fatal for dogs. Here it is why: cocoa contains theobromine, one of the substances that make chocolate so good for humans but which is toxic for dogs, cats and other pets. Theobromine is a stimulant similar with caffeine and in human medicine it is used as diuretic, blood vessel dilator and a smooth muscle relaxant. Dogs are not able to process theobromine like humans, so it is dangerous for them. The higher the cocoa content in chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Dark chocolate has more theobromine than milk chocolate, which in turn has more than white chocolate.
If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, do not wait for the symptoms to manifest, take your dog to the veterinary immediately. Be prepared to tell to your doctor how much chocolate it has eaten, what kind of chocolate and when it has eaten.
It is better and safe to keep chocolate away from dogs!